Sunday 25 November 2012

Altered domino booklet

This time I want to share with you my latest "first try" - altered dominoes. There are some amazingly beautiful projects to be found in blog land, which made me want to create one of these tiny treasures myself.

As the main colours used were greens and blues (and there are some red sparkles in the metal leafing too), I dare to enter Vintage Stamping Challenges' "Red/Green/Blue/Purple"-challenge with this project.

I first gave two dominoes a treat with AAI (mainly greens and blues) and afterwards I adhered some metal leaf by stamping a tiny swirl image, using special metal leafing glue instead of stamping ink.
I applied the glue with a small piece of a rough kitchen sponge onto the rubber stamp. After stamping the glue-image onto the dominoes, I immediately cleaned the stamp with soap and warm water, because this glue is very very sticky and the metal flakes should be put on only after some open time. (Otherwise you only wipe off the glue AND the flakes, when you try to rub them in with your fingertip).

I gave the edges the same treatment, applying the glue directly onto the surface with the sponge. The result looked like this:


As I wanted to create a booklet, I had to prepare a tiny accordion, which I cut to size, folded and stamped with images of time pieces, birds and quotes about time flying and precious moments.


The edges of the pages were blended with Distress ink "walnut stain" and were given some sprays of diluted colour wash in green and blue. For a finish I painted the edges with gold acrylic colour. For stamping I used archival inks "jet black" and "sepia".

To be able to close the domino booklet, I fixed two organza ribbons by glueing them to the dominoes together with the first and last page of the inner booklet. But first I attached a hinge to the dominoes, which I had treated with AAI too, to make it look aged and timeworn.









I also fixed a small piece of ribbon to the booklet, that holds a golden eye to provide being attached as a pendant to a chain or ribbon.









I embellished the front cover of the domino booklet  with a tiny ephemera from some of my paper stash and a small key, that was also treated with rust, green and blue AAI to match the pendant.

The whole surface was given two coatings with Gloss Mod Podge. Voila!




42 comments:

  1. Oh my word Claudia!!! This is divine. Beautiful Beautiful creation. Nicola x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gosh... thank you so much for this awesome laud, Nicola! :))

      Delete
  2. Wow that is lovely very clever x

    ReplyDelete
  3. That CAN'T be your FIRST domino project?!!! It is STUNNINGLY BEAUTIFUL! Well done you with the metal foil - getting that onto a smooth surface is very difficult, and the whole thing is a complete triumph. Love your choice of colours/stamps and the way you've worked the hinge into the whole scheme. We need to see more of these. Hugs, Buttons x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, Buttons,

      it was my first domino project, but I have used metal leaf earlier. Thank you so much for the big laud! I do have some dominoes left indeed ;)

      Hugs,
      die amelie xx

      Delete
  4. Oh Claudia, das ist ein Traum-Teilchen ich bin verzaubert, herrlich gewerkelt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lieb von dir, Margot! Danke schön!

      Hab noch einen schönen Sonntag!
      Claudia xx

      Delete
  5. Das ist einfach wundervoll Claudia.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just so wonderful in all its tiny detail and the AI are gorgeous on the covers.
    Wishes
    Lynne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you like it, Lynne! :)

      Hugs,
      Claudia xx

      Delete
  7. Ooooooh, Claudia, das ist ja ein Augenschmaus erster Sahne. Ich bin völlig überwältigt, so schön ist Dein Dominoprojekt. Ganz großes Kino.

    Habe noch einen schönen Restsonntag

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Danke schön, Rosie!

      Auch dir noch einen angenehmen Sonntagabend! Ich freu mich sehr über dein schönes Lob!

      LG,
      Claudia x

      Delete
  8. superschön kann ich da nur sagen! tolle Effekte... sieht so schön aus!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lieben Dank, Susi!

      Dein Lob ehrt mich sehr! :)

      Delete
  9. Ausgezeichnet! I'm open-mouthed... what a stunning piece of work. Just the domino itself would be enough with those gorgeous colours and amazing leafing, but then to hinge them into that gorgeous tiny book... Unbelievable! So looking forward to going home at the end of the week, and having access to all my toys again...
    Alison x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can imagine the cruelty of being cut off from one's toys, Alison! But only one more week to go and then... :)
      Thank you so much for the visit and the wonderful laud!

      Wishes,
      Claudia xx

      Delete
  10. Das erste Domino Buch und gleich so ein Knaller (:o) Absolut fantastisch und mal ehrlich, die machen süchtig, oder? Jeder kleine Stempel erscheint noch zu groß, für diese Miniatur - Fummelei. Die stehende Variante sieht aus wie ein kleiner Mini - Koffer (:o) Du siehst schon, ich bin restlos begeistert (:o)
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stimmt, die machen echt süchtig. Das hier wird sicher nicht das erste und letzte gewesen sein. ;)
      Freut mich sehr, dass es dir so gut gefällt, Elly! Danke schön für Besuch und Lob!

      Liebe Grüße,
      Claudia xx

      Delete
  11. What a cool little domino book! The colors of the domino covers are amazing! Hugs, Sandra

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for stopping by and for the lovely laud, Sandra! :)

      Hugs,
      die amelie x

      Delete
  12. Your domino book is gorgeous, loving your colour palette for the covers and the fab inside. x

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a wonderful domino project. Thank you for the step by step. Vee xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you once more for the lovely laud, Vee!

      Hugs,
      die amelie xx

      Delete
  14. That is simply stunning. I am rushing back to England to hide my dominoes from butterfly in case we still want to play with them! Though seeing this makes me think that you have a much better use for them actually......

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope, your dominoes will survive then... can't you play with just two of them missing? ;))

      Thanks for your wonderful laud, Cestina!

      Hugs,
      die amelie x

      Delete
  15. HOW BEAUTIFUL!
    This is just gorgeous, I love everything about it, it became a 'real'booklet like thism, not just a concertina!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad, you like my little booklet, Ellie! :))

      Wishes,
      Claudia xx

      Delete
  16. The stunning piece of altered artwork Amelie.

    Thanks so much sharing with us at FlonzCraft Vintage Stamping challenges.

    B x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Brenda,

      for your visit and the wonderful laud! :)

      die amelie xx

      Delete
  17. Ein wunderschönes Büchlein, besonders gut gefällt mir, dass du ein Scharnier angebracht hast. Vielen Dank für deine Teilnahme bei VSC.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lieben Dank, Silvia!

      Freut mich, dass es dir so gefällt! :)

      LG,
      Claudia xx

      Delete
  18. Totally stunning artwork!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Gorgeous domino book, love the colours and the beautiful details.
    Yvonne

    ReplyDelete
  20. Stunning, I will be using this, i have just started to play with gold leaf and have just got my first box of domino's x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Mark! :)

      Go for it. It's so much fun. I am curious about how yours will turn out!

      xx

      Delete
  21. This is just so beautiful. I am started to make domino books and I love this one. All the details are just perfect. Can you tell me what glue you used to attach the hinge? I am about to start my book domino project.
    Smiles!
    Robbyn in Ohio

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used E 6000 which is great for glueing together non-porous items. :)

      Delete

Thank you so much for your visit and especially for taking the time to leave me a short comment! This is highly appreciated! xxx