It was an exciting and also strange feeling to know that even though I could not go there myself, there was at least someting "of me" there to be seen. (not sure what I would like better...erm....well, no - it definitely would be seeing all the fab artists demoing at the stands to be honest. But having some of your own work showcased is soooo cool too...lol ;).
As we were asked to showcase the new fantastic media line DecoArt have develloped with Andy Skinner, I tried to combine as much as I could on one piece. So I made the background this LO is created on myself - using DecoArt stencils alongside the media fluid acrylic paints, Crackle Glaze, Antiquing Creams and Translucent White (which is one of my favourites when it comes to creating subtle shading and texture).
This image shows the result of the Crackle Glaze applied through a large dots stencil over a layer of painted and dripped on colour washes (I had made using the media fluid acrylics) and being coated with a layer of Carbon Black and Patina Green Antiquing Creams (and the excess being whiped off after all had dried) afterwards. The Patina Green toned down the bright yellow, orange and red tones but they remained bright and visible underneath the Crackle Glaze. The Carbon Black Antiquing Cream accented the cracks.
I also scraped on some Red Iron Oxide Texture Fierro with a palette knife to make all the elements blend in with each other and add some more texture.
Scraps of old dictionary pages were torn and glued on (rather) randomly (using the matte Decou-Page).
I also used the Crackle Glaze on a colour copy of an old photograph (a fleamarket find) and the metal embellishment on top was painted with media fluid acrylics which I "cooked" onto the metal using the heat tool.
The pocket watch frame was a flea market find too. I toned it down a little using a wash of Transparent Red Iron Oxide fluid acrylic colour.
The flourish was a cast from a selfmade mould made using self hardening model clay and painting it with the media fluid acrylics to give it an aged and worn look.
Hints of Turquoise Shimmer Mister paint were sprayed on through a stencil and also simply sprinkled on by pressing the nozzle only lightly.
Embellishments were glued on using matte Decou-Page. My first choice of glue when it comes to adhering heavier items to a project.
Additional texture was stamped on using black archival stamping ink with text and texture stamps. Ephemera, cut out (stamped) word tiles and various embellishments were layered and glued on as well.
For a finish I glued the LO to some heavy card and then dabbed some DecoArt Traditions "Raw Umber" acrylic paint directly with the fingertip around the edges of my paintboard to "hold the design in place". I like using the fingertip as you get an uneven border that looks close to peeled off paint around the edges.
I had a wonderful time completing this project. Working with old photographs is always a rewarding thing to do as you feel you have to create a "precious frame" around them to do them justice (which can also make it a bit intimidating sometimes *lol). And when you find - once you're done - that this frame has given the image "new life", you know you have succeeded.
It isn't always easy to not overdo projects (and those who know me know pretty well that my designs tend to be rather "crowded"...but I love to take the eye of the beholder on a journey with a lot of wonderful things to discover and not just spot the focal piece and have all the roundabouts be less important in a way. Hope this makes sense ;)
Hugs and happy crafting,