Wednesday 1 January 2014

No More Shopping Sins! - OCC's January Challenge

Welcome back, dear crafting friends :)

As you may well remember, the 1st of each month is a double-feature day over here, as I present two new challenges: the one at Our Creative Corner and the other at SanDee&amelie's Steampunk Challenges (please, come back a little later to learn more about this one).

Yep, you read the headline right - the first challenge of the year over at Our Creative Corner is all about new years resolutions (which are mostly hard to keep as we all know ;). If you want to read more about the idea behind this challenge, I would recommend you hop over to our challenge blog to have a closer look (also at the fab makes of the whole Design Team of course ;). There's a lot of new great stuff going on at OCC  too in 2014 (for example: from now on the whole team present their makes on the first of the month - so there will be twice as much inspiration at one go as there has been before - but Laura has been busy organizing and working on some more new features that will make OCC an even more fab place in the new year than it has already been ;).




It is my special honour to host the very first challenge of 2014, which is:

No More Shopping Sins!


This means that I want you to 
use some of your long hoarded 
and never before used stash 
for your projects. 


We all know what I am talking about: you see something, you (really) NEED it, you buy it and you love it so much ...and then you don't use it because it is so very special you want to use it on the ONE project only.... just that exactly this one doesn't come along. ;)

And in the meantime you buy more of this love-able stuff and your guilt grows... so I decided to get rid of that secretly gnawing guilt of buying new stuff although I haven't used a lot of the old stuff - simply by finally using it. Yes, it is that easy *lol. 






I had a small lot of vintage dictionary pages I bought one and a half years ago and haven't used ever since as they are sooo beautiful. ;)














I also had some Tim Holtz mini numerals 
and some Prima and BoBunny paper pads which were still untouched.







It became a lot easier for me after I had cut the first page into shape (using the "Artful Dwellings" Sizzix die)!


From then I had a wonderful time cutting, stamping, layering, glueing and playing around with a lot of fab stuff - I hope this becomes a bit visible with my make too ;)


I stamped the "Los Tres Caballeros" stamp onto some white card and cut out the faces. I glued the dictionary paper shapes onto some pages from the paper pads and cut out the shapes leaving about half a centimeter's width. Then I distressed and inked the edges before I started embellishing.






I stamped some numbers (from a X-mas stamp set for making an advent calendar) in
red and gave the cut out circles a coat of DecoArt Triple Thick (awesome stuff, wow!). I found while stamping that I seem to have an affection for prime numbers (well, I am married to a maths genius by the way...;).

I also used some washi tape and some long forgotten sticky lace tape I had bought at the very beginnings of my crafting career.










I gave the finished panels some spritzes of various spray paints to add a bit of a weathered look.

To fuse all four panels I used some rough ribbon, which I glued between the front and backsides of the panels. Done! 

















I hope you will not only use the new stuff you got for X-mas but also give some of your old treasures a chance to come to life!!! So I look forward to seeing your projects entered with our challenge at OCC soon! 

And I also hope you will come back for more challenge fun in two hours to learn more about the new challenge over at SanDee&amelie's Steampunk Challenges too (where it is all about the new stuff - yay ;)!

Hugs and happy crafting for 2014! 

Claudia x

18 comments:

  1. Stunning creation Claudia, love this little village of creative houses!! A great start to a wonderful creative new year!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so grateful to you for this challenge Claudia because it has made me think about all the stuff that I don't use! Like my Artful Dwellings die........ Your creation is wonderful, I love how you collaged the elements and made a wonderful piece of art. It is a very inspiring piece. Happy New Year to you! Hugs, Anne x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fantastic project, totally love it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL I know where you're coming from, Claudia. I could enter this challenge a million times over! *Love* your row of houses. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Boah ist das schön, ich bin begeistert.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a fantastic way to use those gorgeous papers Claudia. I can see why you were reluctant but the end result is so good I'm pleased you did. Frohes Neues Jahr! (hope that's right :) Jenny x

    ReplyDelete
  7. WOW! Great work! Happy New Year :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. So many beautiful layers and wonderful techniques here Claudia - I LOVE it. I have that die and have never used it (perhaps I should have used that for my DT piece?!) you have given me some inspiration for using it now - thanks so much! I loved this challenge so much and I'm sure you will generate lots of wonderful entries.
    Hugs dear friend. Julia xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love this project. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is fantastic, Claudia. Love the funky vintage feel you have achieved with it. Those dictionary pages are fabulous. I probably would have photocopied them and used the photocopy to craft with because I don't think I could have cut into them, but I guess that wouldn't have met the challenge - as they would still be hoarded LOL! You did such a wonderful job of bringing in so many bits and pieces and creating a cool piece of mixed media art. Thanks for hosting this wonderful challenge!

    Wishing you all the best of the best in 2014.

    Hugs,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow! Amazing creation!

    Happy New Year! Wishing you all the best :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happy New Year Claudia - may 2014 bring you improved health and lots of happiness. This piece is totally stunning. A huge range of techniques and work have gone into it - truly fabulous! Nicola x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Stunning project Claudia...i really love how you put everything together! This challenge is just right for me, because I am an owner of a lot of things that I never use.....
    Very happy New Year my dear Claudia!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love this style! There are so many interesting details to take in. Fabulous creation!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This piece is wonderful to look at. So much detail. And such a good way to hinge something like this. I shall remember that.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love this project. Will give this ago with lots of my stamps in stash. Love it...

    ReplyDelete
  17. Totally awesome!!! I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love how you put the houses together on this project. Hmm ... gives me some new ideas. Hope to get over to the Steampunk Challenge soon!! -- Mary Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your visit and especially for taking the time to leave me a short comment! This is highly appreciated! xxx