Monday 1 May 2017

Dreams at Emerald Creek Dares

Servus and welcome to the start of this month's challenge over at Emerald Creek Dares!


This time we want to see and learn about your

Dreams!


and/or any fantasy you can dream up. 



Mine is rather a memory than a fantasy. My grandma that I love and miss dearly used to read to me when I was little and my favourite book was a collection of poems and short texts on the seasons of the whole year. It had the most charming poems and watercolour illustrations showing flower fairies, elves, gnomes, lizards, bugs, moths and many other nature creatures that inhabit meadows, forests, ponds and hedges. It was those "tiny wonders" that I never got tired of looking at. And when I had finished my DT project for this challenge I found that obviously my inspiration originated from these memories...




The fairies in the book looked totally different from mine of course. But I remember how I loved to watch them sleep. So I just had to draw a sleeping - and dreaming! - fairy too. ;)



 My fairies are trying to catch dreams that evolve from the soil as twinkling stars or huge dream bubbles (the brads) and gently rise up to the sky where they drift along to "find" their humans that will dream them. 


Emerald Creek products used:


other products used available at EC:


I started with a plain white cardboard (a left over from some packaging) and added white Gesso to it using a palette knife. While the Gesso was still wet I sprayed on some Broken China and Squeezed Lemonade Distress Spray Stains and dabbed off most of it with a baby wipe. Once that was dry I used the gorgeous Tim Holtz "Wildflower" stencil and some modeling paste to create the meadow for my fairies. I left the paste to dry naturally.




Next I sprayed on some Gathered Twigs Distress Spray Stain and also dabbed off the excess after half a minute.  My board now looked like this:




I let everything dry really well before I went on to the next step. I unscrewed my embossing dabber's top and poured a little glob of embossing ink onto my craft sheet. Then I picked up some of that with the tip of my palette knife and scraped it randomly onto my board.  

I sprinkled on a thorough coat of Emerald Creek Fractured Ice embossing crystals and heated it with my Ranger heat tool. 




I love that that embossing enamel has transparent crystals as well as lightly tinted ones, glittery and dark ones and some that melt to a chunkier consistence than others. So the Fractured Ice crystals added a beautiful green-ish tint here and there but also highlighted the sprayed on colours underneath and made them look brighter. 




Then it was time to sketch my fairies with a precision pencil.




I unscrewed my Picket Fence Distress Paint Dabber and used a fine tip brush to paint my fairies. I also used a bit of Gathered Twigs Distress Spray stain from my non stick craft sheet. 




I glued some Mossanite, Aventurine and Pyrite gem stones to the blossoms using matte Decou-Page.






Using my fingertip I added some dark brown acrylic paint to the board's edges for a frame. I also added a bit of doodling with a white gel pen (swirls, dots).



I poked some holes and inserted the brads. Then I doodled some white circles around them to create my "dream bubbles".



The alpha part letters were glued on using matte Decou-Page. Afterwards I applied some DecoArt Iced Espresso Metallic Lustre to make them match the embossing enamel's look.




In whimsy handwriting I added the word "fairy" with the white gel pen...


 ...et voilá!






I hope you like my little dreamed up fairies realm! I am already impatient to find out what you will come up with!!! And also check out Cassandra's make over at the Emerald Creek Dares blog!

Don't be shy  and play along! You can win a $50 voucher by doing so! How cool is that?

(And last but not least I would like to ask you to scroll down to my previous post as there is another project and tutorial waiting for you  - this time over at the Calico Craft Parts blog. Hope to see you there soon too! )


Thanks for stopping by and
hugs and happy crafting!
Claudia
xxx

http://www.emeraldcreek.org/

http://blog.emeraldcreek.org/

10 comments:

  1. Absolutely beautiful I love this! Your fairies are stunning a perfect dream world. I hope one of those dreams finds me !

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is utterly divine Claudia and apart from the wonderful textures and techniques you used I love that you drew your own fairies. Brilliant. hugs xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fabulous my dear! Hugs, Kerstin xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Am absolutely ENCHANTING world of FAIRY BLISS Claudia. I have never really been into the fluffy pink/purple fairy worlds but YOUR WORLD... truly appeals to my imagination. It's so REAL and BEAUTIFUL. I'm soooo glad I was able to step into it for a bit. Xj.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just brilliant, love it to bits. Great watching you make IT TOO. Happy crafting, Angela XxX

    ReplyDelete
  6. Claudia, my goodness, girl! I love this! The background alone makes me so happy, but those sweet little hand drawn fairies take the cake! How wonderful you still have those memories of your grandmother reading to you and the inspiration that came from it here!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Claudia, this is so magical and love how it was inspired by memories of your Grandma xo Amazing textures and colours and your wee fairies are so sweet, thank you for sharing it with us all! Deb xo

    ReplyDelete
  8. WOW - Love your fairy realm - the sparkly layers must add a truly magical touch x Hope you have had a lovely weekend x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love this magical fairy garden - amazing patinas and finishes.
    Alison x

    ReplyDelete
  10. How wonderfully enchanting this is! I love the earthy colors and your fabulous sketches. A dream...

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your visit and especially for taking the time to leave me a short comment! This is highly appreciated! xxx