Tuesday 28 August 2012

"Bad Moon Rising"

According to the challenge from Haunted Design House, "Bad Moon Rising", I made this card, which I would like to enter.
I also enter this project to the challenge at Inspiration Avenue
"Doorways and Windows".

The "bad moon rising" topic immediately evoked a picture in my imagination, even the story of an unsuccessful poor writer, staying in a quite dangerous neighbourhood due to his latest mission for the newspaper he is working for... strange things have occured during the last days and his mind is filled with fear and worry. He yet cannot grab exactly what has been going on here lately, but he is sure and can feel it down to his bones: it is something profoundly evil....
I wanted to show his writing desk with his typewriter on, being lit by the light of a "bad moon rising". Some red stains (could this be blood?!!) on the pale white of the table tell a story of horror and crime. As I am a huge fan of Crime Noir Comic Art, I wanted to make it look a little like that genre. So I needed pure white on a black surface. White stamping, painting or embossing would not deliver the results I had in mind, so I decided to cut out the shapes of white and black cardstock.


But first I created the "sight" through the window, which was going to be the inside of the card and be seen through a cut out window on the front. I lightly sprayed some white card with Glimmer Mist "Moonlight" (how suitable *gg), then stamped the image of a skull with embossing ink from Ranger and embossed with clear embossing powder. Only now I started to ink a pale blue-greenish moon, using a circle mask I cut from card, using both, the circle and the "surrounding" as masks - one for the moon and the other for the dark sky, which I inked with a rougher kitchen sponge to get some texture with distress inks "pumice stone" , "broken china" and darker blue stamping colour. I finished the background with a layer of black stamping ink "clouds". Then I stamped the house from my beloved Martha Stewart Halloween stamp set, in "Graphite Black" archival ink from Tsunekiko. It should be a spooky house on a dangerous spooky cliff, but I had no stamp for this, so I cut out a cliff-shape from a foam rubber mat and used that for a stamp, which worked out better than I had expected. Some additional bat silhouettes in front of the bad moon - done!


On the front cover I did some embossing with clear embossing powder, which I love as a textureal effect especially on black or dark grey card! The white areas had to be planned very thoroughly to match the window opening and the position of the bad moon. I stamped the tipewriter onto white card and after having decided about it's exact position, I marked the lines of the shadows with pencil and ruler, to match the moon's position and the lit areas on the window cross. The tipewriter and "desk" was glued onto the black card in one piece. At last I added a black velvet self-adhesive ribbon on the inside of the card, because the back of the front looked quite boring and missed some texture, but not too much not to detract from the main scene on the right page.Voila!


Hope, you have enjoyed your visit!!!

Hugs, die amelie!

31 comments:

  1. Wow, Amelie... what a return from holidays!! And a whole story with it too! I love your Edgar Allan Poe take on this - very spooky, and your bad moon is the baddest!
    Alison x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So happy, you like it, Alison!!! :D

      I am a passionate storyteller, so this challenge was a MUST to me! And I really had loads of fun doing this project. Thank you for your lovely visit!!

      Hugs, die amelie xxxx

      Delete
  2. Absolutely FABULOUS - this is so awesomely clever. I LUV it !!! Thank you very much for playing along with us at Haunted Design House with this amazing creation :-D xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank YOU for this utterly inspirational challenge!!!!
      Loved to participate and get creative for this one! So glad you like it!

      die amelie xx

      Delete
  3. Wow, das muß ja eine Arbeit gewesen sein, klasse gewerkelt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lieben Dank, Margot!

      Die Arbeit = der Weg ist das Ziel in dem Fall. ;)

      LG,

      Claudia

      Delete
  4. Absolut genial, sieht total klasse aus.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Danke fürs Lob und den lieben Besuch, Silvia!!!

      Delete
  5. wow, stunning card, so much detail and an amazing end result.
    thanks for joining us at haunted design house

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ein großartiges und geniales Werk, Claudia, ich bin hellauf begeistert

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Meinen allerherzlichsten Dank, liebe Rosie!

      Freut mich, dass es dir so gut gefällt! :)

      LG, Claudia

      Delete
  7. Eon ganz aussergewoehnliches Project und sehr effektiv, lG Petra.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Meinen besten Dank, Petra!

      Freut mich, dass es so gut gefällt! :)

      LG,

      die amelie

      Delete
  8. What a striking card! Great imagery and use of the window.....visiting from IA

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad about your lovely visit, Terrie!

      And I had so much fun creating something spooky for this great challenge theme!

      Greetings from Vienna,

      die amelie

      Delete
  9. Wonderful creation - love the feeling and look of the card! wow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the "wow", nwilliams6!

      Hugs,
      die amelie x

      Delete
  10. This is utterly WOW. Seriously one wickedly brilliant card. Thanks for sharing with us at Haunted Design House this week x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had so much fun, Andrea,

      creating this card for your inspirational challenge. Thank YOU and your DT!

      die amelie x

      Delete
  11. That is amazing! Dark, mysterious, original and very beautiful! Loving the spider's web and the splashes blood - great touches!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much, artangel!

      So glad you like it and stopped by for this lovely visit!

      die amelie x

      Delete
  12. This is so creative and beautifully executed! Really nice attention to details. Thank you so much for sharing this with us at HDH this week. So glad you could join us.

    ReplyDelete
  13. WOW! Amazing story and card. Fabulous work! Thanks for joining us at HDH. xxD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad about your inspiring challenge theme!!! I had a lot of fun creating this card!

      Thank you for your lovely visits and the laud, CreepyGlowbugg and Donna!

      Hugs,
      die amelie xx

      Delete
  14. Seriously Stunning Card!.....WOW!
    Thanks for sharing with us at Haunted Design House this week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Loved your challenge sooo much, IDon'tDoStraight!!!

      Thanks for your visit!



      Delete
  15. Stunning is the word that everyone is using because it is just that. LOVE it. Thank you for sharing with us at MM @ HDH this week

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So kind of you!!! Thank you so much for the visit and the great laud!!!

      die amelie xx

      Delete
  16. I saw that your card was picked at HDH - I wasn't surprised a bit - this is one of the best cards I have seen in awhile - I just wanted to drop back by and say congrats!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! This really means a lot to me, nwilliams6!

      Thank you sooo much for coming back to congratulate! Couldn't get a greater laud!

      Hugs,
      die amelie xx

      Delete

Thank you so much for your visit and especially for taking the time to leave me a short comment! This is highly appreciated! xxx