Saturday 15 November 2014

Steampunk Destinations

Servus and welcome to the mid-month reminder for our challenge over at SanDee&amelie's Steampunk Challenges!

This month the team travels to various


and we are eager to learn about your favourite places or sights you love(d) or would like to visit!

Just hop over to our challenge to find out about my teamies' "hot spots"! Team B have prepared another bundle of inspiration for you and if you haven't seen the makes of team A yet, I highly recommend you do so too!

I found some old photographs from my ancestors which show a group of people hiking a glacier. I don't know who they are (or if they show some great-grand-uncle or -aunt or great-great-grand-parents) but I love the adventurous feel there is to these wonderful pictures!

I decided to make them the focal pieces of a kind of scrapbook-lay-out-journal-thingie and had a joyful play with various media like acrylic paint, distress inks, DecoArt white gesso, DecoArt Metallic Lustres, die cut cogs and gears and stamped ephemera.









I also used a portrait of my great-great-grandfather (left bottom corner) and a colour copy of my great-great-grandmother's old passport.




She was the beautiful lady whose photograph I used on this tag. (the portrait on the charm is an ancestor of mine too...possibly her mother or her mother-in-law...sadly most of the photographs of my ancestors do not say who is who).


http://vonpappe2.blogspot.co.at/2012/06/vorfahren-ancestors.html


But back to my actual project and some more close ups:



I smudged on the white Gesso with a palette knife. It always helps bring a lot of different elements together and gives designs a great time worn and weathered look.



The cogs and gears were die cut from heavy black card and coloured with DecoArt Metallic Lustres and other guilding waxes.






Distressing the edges of the glued on ephemera and the copies of the old photographs added to the weathered look just perfectly. Stamped texture with script and label stamps helped create more depth.




I hope you like my project and leave my place inspired to create something steampunk-ish - maybe even for our challenge...;)
 Thank you very much for stopping by! Hope to see you over at SanDee&amelie's Steampunk Challenges!

Hugs and happy crafting,
Claudia
xxx




11 comments:

  1. Wonderful project.Love all the depth and texture you achived with stamps and colourants.You are so luck to have the photographs of your family.I wish I had some of those too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow Claudia, da gehe ich doch gern auf spannende Entdeckungstour zu der Abenteuerreise deiner Vorfahren, eine sehr gut gelungene Komposition mit tollen Timeworneffekten und wunderschönen Farben zum immer wieder neu entdecken und staunen!! LG Kerstin

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful and even more wonderful again Claudia. I love your grungy style,you do it so perfectly. Such gorgeous old photos too :)
    Big hugs
    Donna xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great work of Art. Love every bit of it. Real vintage.
    thanks for showing Anneke.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great layout Claudia. I love the beautiful grungy colors and all your perfectly placed prices. That's great you've used family photos. It seems to be the trend these days and I love it. I've been doing the same.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow Claudia, this is spectacular! There are just so many wonderful details, I keep spotting new things to see and admire! I love the vintage, worn out look you gave everything! Such a wonderful work of art! hugs :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ein einmalig schönes LAYOUT --- ich bin entzückt - wenn ich das so sagen darf?!
    Hab ein schönes Wochenende liebe Claudia!

    ReplyDelete
  8. So much to see, love how it all works so beautifully together. The photos are wonderful, an absolute delightful vintage layout, gorgeous. Ruth x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow!!!! Ich bin sprachlos!!!! Das ist wirklich der Hammer, soooo genial und einfach nur toll, toll, toll!!!! WOW!!!!

    LG!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Claudia, loving this, so much great grungy detail.
    Have a great weekend and happy crafting, Angela x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ganz tolles Projekt - wie immer halt ;)!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your visit and especially for taking the time to leave me a short comment! This is highly appreciated! xxx