Saturday 1 April 2017

Double Duty at Emerald Creek Dares

"Double Duty" 

is this month's challenge over at Emerald Creek Dares - and a challenging one it is indeed. We want to see projects that can have multiple meanings - be it a card that can be used for different occasions for example or an item that can be used in several ways.

I went for the second option and created two rings - one that can be used as a napkin ring and one that serves as a little lantern to be put over a tea light:



I used the fab "Trellis" and "Honeycomb" Sizzix dies designed by Tim Holtz to create my rings and the fab embossing powders and embellishments from the Emerald Creek online shop. Here's the list of all the Emerald Creek items I used - but you will find a lot more that can be used for this project. So the possibilities for designs are almost endless ;)



And here's the how-to:


Die cut two strips of each design from heavy black card. 



Cut off a segment from each second strip as shown in the picture.



Then glue the pieces together by overlapping a whole segment from each strip. 
Don't close your rings yet!



Paint the insides of the rings with a metal paint. I used DecoArt Dazzling Metallic "Copper" paint.
As you can see I marked those segments with a white gel pen that were later going to be glued behind the opposite segment to close the rings so I would not add any paint and/embossing powders to these spots. Glue doesn't work too well on heat embossed surfaces. 



Heat emboss the other side of the rings with a metal looking embossing enamel. I used Charred Gold and Hammered Metal - two of my absolute favs!



Using a strong glue (like matte DecoArt Decou-Page for example) glue the untreated end segments behind the  opposite ends to close the rings. Fix them with some cloths pins until the glue has dried.



I used the gorgeous Royal Fork and Knife charms for the napking ring and decided to fix them with the cool silver circle brads. 


I simply bent the brad's ends around ...


...and then added some hot glue to the back. 


I also used my hot glue gun to fix the large Filigree Cherry Blossom embellishment and the gorgeous little Amethyst gem stone to the "lantern ring".



...and this is how the finished lantern looks:



And here's the finished napking ring: 








My lantern ring can be used as a napkin ring too. But the fork and knife embellies sadly are too heavy to have that ring "stand" so it can be used around the tea light too - so IF you want to create ONE ring to use for both purposes make sure your added embellishments aren't too heavy.


Maybe I will make a stand for the lantern ring that has a bit of a brim - so that will also hold a ring upright and in place that has heavier embellishments on it. ;)

I hope you like my double duty project idea! 
Thanks for stopping by and I hope to see you soon over at the Emerald Creek Dares blog! If you would like to win an amazing $50 voucher to spend at the shop playing along is all you have to do. Can't wait to see what you will come up with! If you are in need for some inspiration - my teamies' have made some cool projects too! ;) 

Hugs and happy crafting!
Claudia
xxx







7 comments:

  1. Claudia, I am in love with how you used the same pattern and embellished it differently for 2 purposes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Claudia, I love how you've created the napkin ring holder and candle holder. Plus adding the stones to the cherry blossom charm is a fabulous idea!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are fabulous Claudia! Such wonderfully brilliant ideas for the Double Dare! Love them!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Goodness, that really is a challenging challenge! You really did rise to the occasion though Claudia, I love your projects - the cutlery looks amazing! xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is just so cool. I love those dies and now I need to use my embossing powders on them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Super cute Claudia, love these..so creative!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your visit and especially for taking the time to leave me a short comment! This is highly appreciated! xxx