Friday 1 May 2020

The Inventor - for SanDee&amelie's Steampunk Challenges

Hi and servus! Time to kick off our new challenge over at SanDee&amelie's Steampunk Challenges!
Our April challenge is once more an "Anything Goes - Steampunk/Industrial" themed one and my make for your inspiration this month is another ATC.

I just love this format and I found some beautiful Victorian style ATC frames at Calico Craft Parts! They are made of MDF and therefor quite sturdy - which means they can take a lot of mixed media! Perfect for me!



"The Inventor" is my latest ATC from my slowly but steadily growing steampunk ATC collection and it is once more a portrait taken from a paper stash by Tim Holtz that I have used and combined with some Calico Craft Parts and DecoArt paints and products.




To achieve the glossy and dimensional look on the frame I've used DecoArt Triple Thick. I just love that stuff!

But let's start at the beginning of the process! First I cut the portrait to size so it fit into the frame opening. Next I glued that to the backing panel of the ATC frame and the frame on top using DecoArt matte Decou-Page. I like to use cloths pins to keep everything in place during drying times.


Then I applied a thin coat of DecoArt Americana Lamp Black acrylic paint in dry brushing technique to not lose any of the engraved ornaments and lines on the ATC frame.


I used my heat tool to dry the paint before I went in with a generous coat of DecoArt media Titanium White Antiquing Cream.


I made sure the Antiquing Cream got into all the engraved lines and details!


I let the Antiquing Cream cure before I wiped it back with a soft damp cloth.


Using my heat tool again I made sure everything was dry before I added a generous coat of DecoArt Triple Thick to the ATC frame.


While the Triple Thick was still wet I put the little Calico Craft Parts label holder in its proper place and carefully put the cut out "Inventor" word inside - with the Triple Thick still working as a glue.


I decided to go all glossy and added a thinner layer of Triple Thick to the portrait too. This time I added two small wind-up keys and a cut in half cog and painted these and the label holder with DecoArt media Metallic Gold fluid acrylic paint.


All I needed to do then was wait until the Triple Thick had dried naturally. ;)











I love that frame and the symmetry and how the "inventor" word piece sits embedded into the Triple Thick and contrasts the glossy texture with its matte surface! 

I hope you like it too! 
I can't wait to see you play along and enter your makes too! 
See you over at SanDee&amelie's Steampunk Challenges! Simply click HERE to get to our challenge blog! 

Hugs and happy crafting!
Claudia 
xxx



2 comments:

  1. Love your Inventor ATC, Claudia! The unique shape is eye catching, and love the yellows! hugs, Maura

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is fantastic. I always enjoy seeing your artwork creations.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your visit and especially for taking the time to leave me a short comment! This is highly appreciated! xxx