Thursday 23 May 2013

Poor lonesome friend! - Melt Art Mania

has taken over here too, I am afraid.

I have been hoarding some UTEE for quite some time now but never had the guts to use it with all those awesome techniques like stamping in UTEE or creating high gloss embellishments with UTEE... but this has changed since I read Candy Colwell's "Ranger Melt Art Mania" post over here. Her project is sooo awesome and her stepxstep really gave me the feeling that I could not go wrong. So I tried and this is what I came up with:


Yes, you are right: I had some put aside backgrounds from my various tries to create a yellow background tag for the DDTIO "Yellow, lightbulbs and wire" - challenge.  They were too dark to fit what I wanted with the lightbulb theme, but for using my brand new Stampotique stamps they were just perfect!!!! They are sooo cool - I haven't bought any Stampotique stamps until now, but when I saw these I just had to have them. NOW! *lol

The "melt art" techniques I used were: covering the die cut bat with some layers of clear UTEE, which was a lot of fun to do.



Then I stamped the frame image from IndigoBlu partially on top of the tag and covered the image with black embossing powder for heat embossing.

Next I experimented on stamping into UTEE - which was my very first time (I always was afraid of breaking my stamps by getting them stuck forever in UTEE or something like that ;).


For a first try I was quite content with the outcome. (So, please, be gentle with me *lol).

I also used melt art as a resist by stamping the Tim Holtz barbed wire image and covering with Ranger Ultra Fine Detail clear embossing powder for heat embossing. Afterwards I blended the area carefully with "black soot" Distress ink, trying to create a kind of border.


The eyes of the poor lonesome friend were heat embossed using black embossing powder too to make them look more intense.

The Stampotique Owl Tree image was the perfect background image for the sad scenery.

The tag's background texture was added by using a LaBlanche "burlap" stencil, DI "pumice stone" and a blending tool. I masked the spot, where I later stamped our "friend" on by covering this area with a cut out shape of the image.



Then, by pure accident, I stumbled upon a really cool "technique" while pimping up the ribbon I wanted to use with this tag:


as the ribbon was originally bright white with only the barb wire image printed on it, I first blended it with DI "black soot" to match the dark look of the tag. As the ribbon was a rather shiny material and less absorbent than cotton or linen for example, the DI stayed very much on top, which I only realized when I stained the ribbon using Distress paint "wild honey", dapping dots directly onto the ribbon... which caused the ink to build black edges around the yellow stains...which looked more than just perfect for the tag's theme!!!!



Cool, huh? I heat dried the ribbon and adhered it to my tag after I had distressed the edges and blended them with DI "pumice stone".

Now let's hope someone soon will find the courage to play with our sad friend! ;)



Most images were stamped with my favourite two inks: black jet archival ink from Ranger and Distress ink "black soot", so I enter Simon Says Stamp and Show's "Favorite Ink" challenge with this tag.

Hope you like my tag! Thanks for stopping by again!

Hugs,
die amelie x

20 comments:

  1. I love it, I love the resist technique and Im really wanting to try the stamping into utee as well.
    I think my fave part is the barb wire stamped ribbon though, great idea. x

    ReplyDelete
  2. So cool, Claudia - your work is always imaginative, always beautifully made, and I love that you challenge yourself all the time. Brilliant work with the melting techniques - those bats are fab. I loved Candy's post too, but not up to melting yet... but I think we must operate in some kind of synchronicity - I've just got my first Stampotique stamp too!! Look forward to lots more melted magic here...
    Alison xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awwww, So cute! He's so creepy, sweet and sad at the same time. Who would not want to go and play with him =)
    I think it's a stunning tag and you did great with the UTEE stamping (and everything else as well). Love what you did with the ribbon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this tag, I am a huge fan of Stampotique stamps and use them often, you will not stop buying them now.
    Love
    Amanda x

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow - das ist so cool und das "Männlein" so süß wie es schaut - sehr passend auch deine "Spielaufforderung" dazu. Gefällt mir wieder super gut!!!!
    LG Dagmar

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great results with the UTEE. I love this tag, it's so different. Hope all is well with you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I absolutely adore your Card :-) Such an amazing Project and technique (and I love the Stamps!) XoxO SanDee1899 Greetings from Holidays :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wie cool ist das denn ?! Ein Spitzenprodukt.

    ReplyDelete
  9. WoW! Das ist echt abgefahren! Super Claudia!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Claudia...your tag is so cool! I love the colors; the oranges and blacks. I love the background. That burlap stencil is way cool! I've never seen it before and I don't think I can get it here. :( Love the dripping black UTEE at the top! The barbed wire resist looks amazing surrounded by the Black Soot and your poor little fellow looks like he needs a playmate! haha Masking off that area for him made him really stand out from the background! What a great tag! And the ribbon...well, it's just amazing! Way cool happy accident with the blending of paint, ink and water! Love it! Thanks for sharing your always fun and incredible art with us at Simon Says Stamp and Show. <3 Candy

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is wonderful Claudia, I love your 'drippy' embossing, and you're right about the intense black eyes. I'm sure he'll soon have lots of other Stampotique friends to play with , as once you start....lol. Have a fun weekend xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love that image Claudia, he really does need a friend... your stamping into the UTEE looks amazing, I would never have guessed it was your first attempt, the bat is stunning and the dripping at the top - well it is just the icing on the cake - it's wonderful. Love how you enhanced his eyes too. Love this! Hugs, Anne x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Boah, das sieht spitze aus, Claudia! Gefällt mir supergut!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh my Claudia….fantastic!!! I also LOVE Stampotique stamps so much…. This tag is full of amazing details...great use of UTEE!

    ReplyDelete
  15. oh so very cool Claudia!! LOVE IT!! Thanks so much for joining us at Simon Says Stamp and Show :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Stunning tag, Claudia! Love that bat! And the drippage looks really amazing! Gorgeous! Thank you so much for joining us at Simon Says Stamp and Show. Hugs, Sandra

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hello again, Claudia! You are so sweet! Thanks so much for stopping by my blog and leaving such a nice comment about my transformed wooden craft organizer. Have a wonderful week. I just finished an future SSSS challenge piece and I think I may start on the matchbox steampunk piece for your blog next. <3 Candy

    ReplyDelete
  18. Claudia this is absolutely superb. I love each of your embossed elements, especially that corner and the bat. You are now clearly a master of EP as well as alcohol inks. Hugs, Jenny x

    ReplyDelete
  19. this is awsome!!! love the dark feeling

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your visit and especially for taking the time to leave me a short comment! This is highly appreciated! xxx