Wednesday 2 September 2015

Mail Art

Quite some time ago I created some mail art to send to two lovely friends I had the great luck to find (and make) via crafty blogland.

Only today I found that I had completely forgotten to share them on my own blog. So let's now be the time for some mail art appearance ...

I created two envelopes using mainly scraps from old book pages and loads od different washi tapes alongside some rubber stamping and doodling.





As you can see I got completely lost in the process and covered up each and every tiny single spot (I really had to remind myself to leave some space for the labels...lol).


This guy is a torn colour copy from some flea market find photographs that I collaged onto the blank envelope.


And this is a colour copy of an old book about butterflies from a certain European region. Another find from a flea market.


Stacking and layering washi tape is one of my most favourite techniques as it creates depth as well as texture. You can also see one of my self-made circles I like to use on some of my projects.



I create them by collaging scraps from old book pages or stamping script to a sheet of watercolour paper. Then I apply various fluid acrylic paints (the DecoArt media line works best for this from my point of view) with a palette knife by "scraping" it on and seeing to it that I create a lot of overlaps. Then I randomly cut out circles freehand and store them for later use in one of my little treasure chests.


In this case I glued them on and then drew a rough circle around them with a watercolour pencil, so I could smudge the drawn outline with a fine tip brush that is loaded with water.

I also love to incorporate circles cut from old book pages or designer papers.



And as you can also see I often for a finishing touch scrape on some white Gesso once all my elements have been added. This helps blend them all in and adds additional texture.


I also love to add stamped on stitching patterns with a lot of my projects.

I loved the combination of the black and white and the floral design washi tapes!



And addings some doodling to stamped on images is great fun too!


The fab stamps from Stampendous are just perfect for this! There are quite some who have that brush-stroke like texture to them which I think fits perfectly.


I love the idea that the mailing process adds some uncontrollable visual elements to my creations!

I hope you enjoyed your visit! Thanks for popping by!!!
Writing up this post definitely reminded me of doing more mail art soon! ;)

Hugs and happy crafting,
Claudia x

10 comments:

  1. Oh Fab Claudia, looks like we have both been busy with making mail art :) Maybe we should have an exchange too :) Love your mail art too, I'm sure they will have loved receiving these. Michelle xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohhhhhhhh! How very fun!!!! I've got to try this. I certainly can see how you can get carried away with the creative process and forget to leave room for the labels!! LOVE all the visual elements. So many levels to explore. Truly ... amazing. Going back now to stare at them some more :) -- ME

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ich fühle mich wie im Zirkus, liebe Claudia... Deine Umschläge sind eine riesige Bühne für die vielfältigsten Darsteller... Der eine lugt verschämt hinter seinem Vorhang hervor, die andere dreht selbstbewusst im Zentrum der Attraktion ihre Pirouetten... Gut, dass Du einzelne Ausschnitte hervorgehoben hast... Es gibt soooo viel zu gucken und zu beklatschen... Eine wunderbare Vorstellung! Chapeau und Zugabe, Zugabe, Zugabe...

    ReplyDelete
  4. großartig, claudia!
    das ist "ganz du"... !!
    lg
    margit

    ReplyDelete
  5. und noch so ein Prachtkerl :-) dank Amelie, einer so schön wie der andere, besonders im Original ;-) absolut einmalige Unikate!! Ein dickes Dankeschön für die Anleitung, die werde ich jetzt in aller Ruhe studieren. LG Kerstin xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is so interesting, Claudia... I love your art. :)
    Hope you had a great summer!

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are super! I love that guys eyeballs! Every time I look at this I see something new. So many wonderful layers to tantalize the eyes and brain! Awesome sauce! Hugz! ~Niki

    ReplyDelete
  8. Amazing creation Claudia, those layers are fab and very interesting to look at. you are always an inspiration!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awesome envelopes, Claudia. The recipients must have been over the moon - unless the postal workers kept them for themselves, ha ha.
    Those eyes are positively creepy. And I just love all the colors and the texture you have created.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your visit and especially for taking the time to leave me a short comment! This is highly appreciated! xxx