Monday 25 February 2013

Make Your Own Word Stamps!

I have to confess: I stole some Kappla bricks from my son's building bricks pile today (shame on me, I know ;)...but they were the perfect blocks to mount my letters on!




Yes, you heard me right: I built my own word stamps today. And it is absolutely easy peasy (and of course I am not the first to do this, but I wanted to share this with you anyway ;)...

All you will need are:

-double sided duct tape
-alphabet die/s and die cutting machine
-funky foam
-Kappla bricks (or any other solid block to mount your letters on)
-scissors


1. Choose your word

2. Cut the letters from funky foam using an alphabet die (I used the "Alphabetical" die from the Tim Holtz series for Sizzix).

3. Arrange the letters on your table until you are content with their appearance. Keep in mind that they have to fit in the size of one Kappla brick (which is quite narrow...but you can of course mount your words onto any other surface as long as your mounting block is solid, which is mandatory for stamping). I also thought about cutting old plastic rulers to pieces and use them as mounting blocks - which would provide full visibility of the space you stamp your word onto.

4. Apply some double-sided sticky tape onto the Kappla brick (press firmly)  and cut to size afterwards.

5. Pull off the foil of the sticky tape and press the brick with the sticky side onto your laid out word. Cool thing is: you don't have to lay your words mirror inverted!



This is what I came up with after playing around for a while:



10 comments:

  1. Das ist ja ein supertolle Idee. Gehe ich recht in der Annahme, dass es sich um Moosgummi handelt??? Ich denke, das könnte ich auch hinbekommen.

    Danke für den Tipp

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ja, das ist Moosgummi, Rosie! Die Sizzlits schneiden das erstaunlich gut!

      LG,
      Claudia x

      Delete
  2. da kommt eben die Werklehrerin in Dir durch..großartig!

    das ATC sieht wundervoll aus damit!
    klasse mit den versetzten Buchstaben ...

    tja Ideen muss man haben und dann auch die Muse es umzusetzten!

    weiter so !

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this idea, it also works well with image dies for silhouettes. My son's outgrown his blocks so it's time to recycle them !! Thanks for sharing the idea.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooooh LOVE this idea! Now why did I never think of that? This is brilliant! I just got some letter dies and have hardly used them at all. I must give this a try. Love your ATC too with the double stamped word, so effective!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh das muss ganz weit nach oben auf meine To-do-Liste! Dein Stemple ist echt super klasse geworden!!! Bin schon soooooo gespannt auf eure erste Challenge :o)
    LG Dagmar

    ReplyDelete
  6. genial muss ich probieren

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great idea, will have to try this one.
    Yvonne x

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is a great idea that I will definitely be trying. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Totally fantastic... thank you so much for sharing this idea! Almost threw some of that foam away a couple of days ago, thinking I had no use for coloured foam - how wrong can you be?! Now I just need to raid my nephew's toybox!!
    Alison xx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your visit and especially for taking the time to leave me a short comment! This is highly appreciated! xxx