Tuesday 19 February 2013

"Love is...

....the only thing that multiplies by wasting it." (Ricarda Huch)




A friend needed a canvas as a wedding gift - something more personal than a gift from a store. I had actually no idea what to start with, so I googled a saying first and found this wonderful one by Ricarda Huch, which I really love.

I had played with my Sizzlits dies earlier on this day and had experimented with the big baroque ornament die. The Sizzlits only cut through rather thin card and paper and metal foil (and also funky foam I found out!) and so I had this deeply etched impression on this glossy card (taken from some packaging material) and did not want to through it away, as it looked really cool.

So I cut the whole card to a panel, rounded the edges with a corner punch and gave it an intense treatment with various alcohol inks. After that the ornament was hardly visible, so I decided to take away the alcohol inks from the inner shape which turned out that way:


Love it! Then I punched some holes through the corners and adhered rivets, distressed the edges of the panel with the blade of my box cutter - voila!

I especially love the crackled/marble look, where I worked with the cotton buds quite sloppy!

Then I created the canvas background using the "chipped paint"-technique I learned with Andy Skinner's Timeworn Workshop, that is to create the impression of chipped paint from a rust metal panel. Love that effect, as it really gives you the feel of having something "old", that has already lived to see a lot of things.


I stamped the saying onto some mud coloured card and cut it to pieces, distressed the edges and blended it with "vintage photo" DI. I also spritzed some water onto it, as this makes the colour bleed out a little and softens the card, which makes it look even more old.

I collaged the saying, the "Sizzlits engraved" panel, a background paper from my stash and some rough jute ribbon to the canvas. For a finish I added some rough cord, which I attached to the holes of the panel and tied them on the back, which makes the panel look like it was tied to the canvas instead of glued...done!

Hope you like the result!














I enter Vintage Stamping Challenges ("Blues, Brown and Beige") and SSSS's awesome challenge "metal-ology" with this canvas, as the background is meant to be "faux rusted metal with chipped paint". (Hope, this counts; ....well maybe the four metal rivets will do the job...)

Hugs,

die amelie x


20 comments:

  1. Atemberaubend schönes Werk, die Farben, die Strukturen und der Spruch - einfach nur klasse.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it? I adore it Claudia! You REALLY need to give me lessons in alcohol inks because the way you use them is incredible. Love the idea of using the die in that way and of course your Andy Skinner canvas background is equally superb. Hope your friend was suitably impressed. Hugs, Jenny x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't know what to say - by now you must have noticed that I am just in love with everything you make! This is so rich in collor, so many details, evrything is just in the perfect place, .... and I know why you were diecutting from packaging stuff LOL.. Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an amazing and unique gift! Love that gloss panel, alcohol inks are fab.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Abolute Einzigartig! Das haut mich echt um, was da alles drinsteckt und was es da alles zu entdecken gibt. WOW und nochmal WOW ich bin sprachlos,

    LG SanDee

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, wow, wow, LOVE this canvas!! The effect you achieved with the Sizzlet die is amazing, the background is stunning and I simply adore the additional elements like the string and the burlap. The quote is super too!
    Lucky couple to receive such a unique gift!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow!!!! Wirklich super!!!! Ich kann mich allen anderen nur anschließen: absolut fantastische Arbeit!!!!

    LG!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Another piece of inspirational artwork Die Amelie and amazing texture.

    Thanks so much sharing with us at FlonzCraft Vintage Stamping Challenges.

    B x

    ReplyDelete
  9. eine wundervolle Arbeit Claudia! wow... ein Prachtstück!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, Claudia, das ist ein echter Augenschmaus. Was für eine Tiefe Du erreicht hast mit den AAIs und dem Bleichen. Großartig. Bin echt begeistert

    ReplyDelete
  11. Stunning, Claudia! The central panel is absolutely amazing... and I love that it started from a discarded cutting attempt! Magnificent alcohol ink work, and the rusted metal background looks awesome. What an extraordinary gift this will make.
    Alison x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wir skinnern vor uns hin (:o)Da hast du aber auch einen der genialsten WS absolviert. Nicht mal mein jetziger Meister kommt an seine detailierte Art zu erklären heran. Dein Canvas ist die Wucht in Tüten. Vor geraumer Zeit hätte ich noch gedacht: Zur Hochzeit? Aber eine Architektin wollte von mir ebenfalls eine Steampunkbox - Kreation zu eben solchem Anlass. Wunderbar!! Mit Rosa und Weiss hätte ich so meine Probleme (:o)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow - da sist echt ein Traumwerk - einfach nur gigantisch!
    LG Dagmar

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow, this is absolutely amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Mir fehlen die Worte, ich bin sprachlos, das ist ja ein wahres Meisterwerk, ein ganz dickes Kompliment von mir liebe Claudia....einfach sensationel.

    Wünsche dir noch einen schönen Tag, einen lieben Gruß von Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is just beautiful. I can see why friend ordered more!!!

    Peace,
    Kay

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love it totally beautiful. I love the Andy technique. You have nailed it. The die cut looks stunning x

    ReplyDelete
  18. Alcohol Inks are amazing, but put in the hands of one who knows how to manipulate them is special! Awesome work here! Love the medallion and the removal there of! Fabulous aging! Gorgeous project! Thank you for showing us your metals at Simon Says Stamp & Show this week!

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a fantastic piece of art! I love the texture you achieved and it is just lovely! Glad you joined us at Simon Says Stamp and Show!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Amazing piece! Love the textured background and your focal piece is amazing. What a great idea for using that die.Thank you so much for sharing with us at Simon Says Stamp and Show!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your visit and especially for taking the time to leave me a short comment! This is highly appreciated! xxx