Friday 27 September 2013

If only they could talk to us!

Don't you sometimes wonder what your ancestors from old photographs would tell about their lives if they could still talk to you? I do. And today's art journal page is all about this question - showing my great granddad and his elder brother.


This time I went once again for a reduced colour scheme - using only black and white with some sprinkles of Mr. Huey's "gold". I wanted to have the main focus with the script elements and the awesome texture they provide.


I used my newly bought Tim Holtz layering stencils and some decoration paste for the background and once dry I gave the page some strokes with white gesso.

Then I stamped the Kaisercraft dictionnary and the Red Lead statement text images onto sandwich paper which I tore to pieces afterwards. I glued them to the page, creating several layers.


I partially blended the textures with DI "black soot". Then I die cut the Sizzix film strip and glued it in place after some sprinkeling my page with black and gold colour.

The image of my great granddad and his brother is a copy, which I distressed at the edges before I placed it on my page with a piece of film strip washi tape and some glue.




I die cut some letters for my "question" and combined them with some handwriting.


I often read that one should learn to love his own handwriting...but I admit it is not that easy. Actually my own handwriting wouldn't be too easy to read (even though I like how it looks ;)... so I tried to give it a calligraphic touch instead.

Some more embellishing with script candy and some Tim Holtz grunge texture stamp. Done.




I hope you like this page! Thank you all so much for your encouraging comments on my first art journal pages! They really mean a lot to me and keep me going! :)


How I love that picture! They look so brave and confident, dont't they? I really wonder how childhood was in those days....

I enter Journal Journeys Challenge #23 "Childhood" with my page.
I also enter it to Simon Says' Wednesday challenge "Anything Goes" and Art Journal Journey's "Less is More" challenge.
And last but not least I enter this to the Tim Holtz 12 tags of 2013, as I created the background with two of his awesome new stencils!



Hugs and happy crafting!

die amelie x

30 comments:

  1. I love the simplicity of this yet it has so much lovely texture to it. A fabulous page!
    Love
    Amanda x

    ReplyDelete
  2. An adorable photograph. The textures are sublime. There is a feeling of simplicity yet at the same time there is a wonderful mix of textures and elements.
    Yes, a question I often ask myself.
    Wishes
    Lynne

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would love to know what my ancestors think of our modern world too....... the photo is delightful Claudia and I love how you stenciled through the stripes to give lots of texture. Beautiful work. Hugs, Anne x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Another wonderful page Claudia! Love the texture and other elements on this page and I really like how you do your pages in reduced colour tones! Wonderful photo too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, this is amazing. I love all your creative details
    Thank you for joining us at Simon Says Wednesday Challenge this week.

    Jo x

    ReplyDelete
  6. eine wunderschöne Seite ist das !
    Liebe Grüe
    Susi

    ReplyDelete
  7. wow das ist ja super gestaltet! Wieder so viele Details und das Foto ist der Hingucker und echt süß die zwei ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fantastic use of the TH stencils, as well as everything else on the page. I love the pared down look of the b&w against the kraft, fantastic texture and gesso. I just adore this journalling journey you're on - such exciting work.
    Alison xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love it! And I really appreciate that you explain how you create your art. It's just lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  10. ...I love this Claudia, the raw materials the earthy tones all brought together to make our eyes smile...Mel:)xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your ancestors' photo is a treasure and your journal page gorgeous. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Was für eine zauberhafte Seite! Tolle Komposition! Die integrierten Filmstreifen geben der Seite einen wunderbaren Kontrast!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow!!!! Wirklich toll!!!! Da passt einfach alles!!!!

    LG!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I absolutely LOVE everything about this! It truly looks Vintage! There are so many interesting design elements and textures! Wow! Excellent job!

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a wonderful page! Love the picture of your great grandfather and his brother!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Meine Güte, hast du heimlich einen Workshop besucht? Der Stil gefällt mir sowas von, da kannst du gern bei bleiben. (:o)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Very inspirational. Just love your work.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great mixed media, great details, great cover Claudia...a fab style!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Fabulous cover, love the texture and the way you have left some of the original cover showing, Chris

    ReplyDelete
  20. Another amazing make!! Strong images and great use of print. Love the sentiment ... exactly what I thought when I saw the photo. Wonderful tribute to your great grandfather and his brother. -- Mary Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  21. Gorgeous cover, Claudia! Love the layering and texture and the vintage pictures! Really pretty! Hugs, Sandra

    ReplyDelete
  22. All the elements you used come together really well on this journal cover. Love the combo of black, white, and craft.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love the texture and reduced colour pallet they really work! to wish I could know from the past how life was. I think it would humble me how and what they had to live like. I am so grateful for family and what they have had to teach me. Treasure them now. Thank you for taking part with Journal Journey's I have really enjoyed this months theme. Dxx

    ReplyDelete
  24. The photograph is really precious and your page is wonderful in every detail!
    Interesting how many of us are not that fond of our own handwriting...
    wonder what the story is behind that :)
    Happy October
    oxo

    ReplyDelete
  25. This is so beautiful and such a great vintage style you have created.
    many lovely details!!!

    ReplyDelete
  26. This is incredible Claudia. I love the variation in textures and limited colour palette. Jenny x

    ReplyDelete
  27. Oh wow das ist ja echt wunderschön wie Du das alles zusammenbringst...ein Augenschmaus ♥ Conny
    Mix It Monthly

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your visit and especially for taking the time to leave me a short comment! This is highly appreciated! xxx